Saturday, August 04, 2007

Playing cricket in Singapore




so here comes my second weekend in Singapore. Last week has been slightly hectic work wise and thus I had planned to take some rest on saturday and do some research on things I would want to take back. In summary, take it easy was the slogan for the Saturday. However, I woke up at 11 AM and after getting ready felt like having a hot cup of tea made in Indian style. This made me land up at Komala's [It's a vegetarian food chain serving south Indian food mainly]. I had a nice cup of tea there and then headed for the famous Funan digital mall to check on some of the electronics stuff which I intend to take back home from here.

I was busy checking on the prices and models of a plasma TVs when I got a call from one of my friend asking me if I would be interested in playing a cricket match. I hesistantly told him that I am not carrying any whites as such as to which he said we will try and manage something here - You just hop on to a cab and come to this place. I did exactly the same. I took a taxi and reached Singapore Indian Sports Club in 15 mins. Match has already started and one over was bowled. I was supposed to be on field after arranging a pair of whites. I bought one from the in-house shop of the club, put them on and was on field after the second over.

I was playing cricket after a long time and the impact of last few months' bad time was visible on my body language. But I was doing well and infact fielded some of nicely driven strokes saving runs for my team. It was good to see myself getting that good old touch in fielding. We were given a target of 179 runs in 30 overs which I initially thought was close to being toough.

when we went back to pavillion, people asked me if I would be interested in opening the batting. Despite of opening slot being my favourite position, I politely declined it telling them that I would be more keen on going one or two down. This was because of fear of not being able to adjust that quickly due to a long gap in having played my last game. I was then told to go one down and pad-up.

Now comes the twist to the story. I had just got ready for with pads etc when the first wicket fell for my team -- it was just the third ball of the game and I was walking in to face fourth ball thinking whether it would have been not good to just yes to the offer of opening the line.
Anyways, on my very first ball, I manage to drive it down to the point where a minor misfield helped me score my run off the very first ball I faced. I was indeed very shaky, slightly hungry [as it was a Saturday and I keep a fast on Saturday] and not very confident. However, after a few shots where my bat connected well with the ball, I gained some confidence and was more fluent. Though the start was shaky, I went on to share a 74-run partnership for the second wicket. It was exactly when I started to enjoy my batting, a bowling change put an end to my inning. The ball was flighted delivery with a pathetic slow pace. I could not judge the slowness and got out on it. While walking back, I was kind of satisfied with my game, considering that I was on for a game after at least 2.5 years.

Game had made me very tired and all the more hungry. after having showers and changing our cloths, we headed for Little India where I insisted on having an early dinner. We had dinner and am back to my hotel now - aaj neend achchi aayegi :). Good night.

No comments: