Monday, September 17, 2007

Feels so good to stand in your own balcony


Today I got my first snap clicked while standing in my own flat's balcony. It's probably not one of those "get it framed and hang it on the wall" kind of picture but am sure will certainly remain close to my heart by shear virtue of being my first snap clicked in this flat. It was raining heavily and I was kind of enjoying it standing in the balcony along with few laborers working to finish my flat for its interiors. To be honest, the feeling was overwhelming. Like any other individual on this earth, I, too, have had many dreams associated with this flat, many of which stand shattered today not to be fulfilled anytime in the life. However, few are still alive and active in the mind and heart and few more have taken shape and are struggling to find a place amongst the alive ones making the thought process a little more stable day by day.

I went through all the pains which a salaried person goes through if he dares to get into the process of realizing his dream of having his own home. It started with me deciding to buy a flat. Thinking of your own house in Gurgaon has already gone beyond the reach of people like me and for us - definition of "our own home" has transformed to a 2BHK/3BHK flat. After seeing many a flats, having spoken to numerous property brokers, after having participated in at least 10 futile meetings of final negotiations, I happened to find this flat. It was a little over my most stretchable budget but then with some encouragement from my brother, I decided to jump into it. I still remember those months of 2006 when I used to be left with Rs 6000 after paying my EMI.Going was indeed tough but then it kept going. I was promised to get the possession by October 2006. However, not getting the possession of your flat on time is almost a foregone conclusion in NCR and our builder made no efforts to be an exception either. Months passed by after October 2006 and his promised date of giving possession kept getting updated by each passing month. Finally, we got the possession of our flat in May 2007, though even layman could say that it will take at least 3-4 months before someone could physically shift-in. This was the time when I was in Singapore and thus lost the opportunity of getting interiors done and thus could only get it started once I was back from Singapore towards the end of August.

The second biggest hurdle is generally in bringing your flat to a state where you can shift in. This includes the woodwork, kitchen finishing, lighting, accessories, electrical fittings, paint of your choice etc.This is the worst state for the reason that you have already run out of the patience (and ofourse money as well) but you are still spending a good amount of money and to top it all, nothing seems to be moving at the pace you expect it to be. The feeling that you probably have hired the slowest workers/laborers on the earth frustrates you more.

My woodwork is almost finished [and it's been in the same state for last 4-5 days. Only my contractor can tell when the state will change from "almost finished" to "completely finished"] and so is the POP work. Painter has started doing the initial work of applying the primer on the walls and in wardrobes. Painting will be a big bottleneck as you can't get any accessories or for that matter electrical items fitted until painting is completely finished. I know I will have to get behind his life to make it fast as I am running out on time. I have 5 more days at hand before I fly out to Singapore again this weekend. Let us see in what state I will have to leave my flat before I travel to the Singapore. Going is indeed tough but it has to be kept going.

No comments: